Although children under 16 are not allowed on the build site, we have several ways youths can participate with Habitat. Here are a few of our ideas:
- Plan and execute an event such as Scarecrows in the Square, or help us build a Christmas Parade float. These town events are a great way for DHFH to advocate it’s mission and children can get creative building these projects.
- Decorate-A-Beam day. Schools or youth groups can purchase the opportunity to decorate the framing beams that are used to build the next home. We take pictures while the children decorate and then schedule a special day for them to come to the work site to see their creations as part of the home, and take another picture with the family.
- Children can build flower boxes, planters or decorate patio pavers, and when we dedicate the home they can present the gift to the homeowner. This adds a little extra curb appeal and a special unique touch to each home.
- Nickels For Nails. This is an annual school fundraiser program, where children can donate spare change that will be used for the next home’s construction costs. You can help us organize this with your school and encourage your classmates to participate. We have had schools do a “Hat or Jeans Day” and kids donate to join in. We welcome fun, inspiring ideas!
- Planting Roots. Children can fundraise and purchase and help plant a baby tree for the front yard of the next home.